[VisCom] Geospatial Events calendar?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Jan 10 05:09:50 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> It is sort of on VisCom's current todo list to at least start a more
> structured list.  I imagine we'll have some items categorised into
> small, medium and large focused events.  Our current task is to identify
> the events that VisCom specifically wants to help organise our presence
> at and, additionally, that we need funding support from OSGeo for.
>
> Hopefully we'll be able to stand up something through an icalendar or
> rss feed for everyone to use.
>
> Tyler

Hi,
we have been waiting for the OSGeo Drupal Calendar. We had it in operation on one of the prototype drupal instances and it counted down the days to the next event which is a nice feature on the front page of the web site.

Some links to events can be found on this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Current_events

Ideally each of the events that get covered by OSGeo should get their own Wiki page. This helps to keep track of all potential, fixed and past events and we can categorize them in the Wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Category:Events
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Category:Past_Events
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Category:Proposed_Events

A proposed event can only become an approved "OSGeo Event" if somebody takes on ownership, this must also be indicated on the corresponding Wiki page.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Event_Management

Depending on the size of the event and the level of OSGeo involvement the corresponding responsibilities vary from simply being there in time to give a presentation up to signing contracts and organizing large scale events like FOSS4G or the OSGeo park at the Intergeo.

Presentations should probably (must?) be peer reviewed by VisCom prior to publishing them under the name of OSGeo but afaik there is no formal process yet.

Regards,
Arnulf.