[Viscom-dev] 33rd IGC 2008, Oslo

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed May 23 15:35:00 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 09:01, Henning Lorenz wrote:
> Dear VisCom!
>
> Regarding event IGC2008, http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/IGC2008
>
> The 33rd International Geological Congress (to open for an even wider
> audience also promoted as "Geosciences World Congress 2008";
> http://www.33igc.org) is organised by the Nordic Countries and will be
> held from 6th to 14th August 2008 in Oslo (at the /The Norway Convention
> Centre, Lillestrøm/. The IGC
> http://www.iugs.org/iugs/science/sci-igc.htm is held every forth year,
> 1988 USA, 1992 Japan, 1996 China, 2000 Brazil, 2004 Italy, 2008 Norway,
> 2012 Australia). This conference is truly international, attracting
> geoscientists from all over the world. At least 8000 participants are
> expected and presentations are organised in 40 parallel sessions. Also
> all aspects of geoinformatics have their space in the programme (see
> second circular on the conference webpage). Ian Jackson from the British
> Geological Survey took the lead to organise a Geoscience Information
> Super-Session  (3 parallel session, max. 3 days). One session will be a
> GFOSS session (Free and open-source geospatial software: applications in
> Earth Sciences and recent development.) and possibly a Public Geodata
> Session (if there is enough interest, i.e. submitted abstracts). The
> former will be convened by Markus Neteler and myself, and we hope to get
> a heap of contributions. This session, and the IGC in general, is a
> unique possibility to promote the case of OSGeo amongst geoscientists
> worldwide. For the time being I can think of the following possibilities:
>
> - promotion of OSGeo during sessions in general and the GFOSS session in
> particular
> - promotional material: flyers, posters and as many logos on members as
> possible (t-shirts, pins, etc.)
> - a booth at Geoexpo 2008 (http://www.33igc.org/coco/info/default.aspx)
> - OSGeo workshop (I have to check with science scretariate if still
> possible)?
>
> A booth would be the most effective way of promotion as most of the
> participants will visit the Geoexpo. I asked for information (size of
> both, price, etc.) but did not get any answer yet, but I will come back
> to it if there is any interest from OSGeo. Of course, this would require
> some OSGeo members to be present at the congress who are willing to help.
>
> If VisCom is of the opinion that the IGC is a good platform to promote
> OSGeo and when we know more about prices at Geoexpo 2008 I will try to
> find out if there are enough OSGeo members who plan to attent the
> meeting and are willing to help with the organisation of OSGeo
> activities beyond the sessions mentioned above.
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Henning
> P.S. I'm a geologist at the Uppsala University, Sweden. The IGC Science
> Secretariat is located almost next door to my office and gives me the
> possibility to stay in close contact to the development of IGC.

Hi Henning,
this sounds very good and I am pretty sure that VisCom will support this.
Every larger event where OSGeo appears has an event owner (that I am
supposed to track down), in this case this is you (as I just found out).
This is perfect :-)

I am very sure that we can build enough momentum to get enough OSGeo
people there to staff a booth. If the booth is not free (OSGeo is a
non-profit, this is sometimes a good argument) we could try to find some
sponsors for that event. So please let this list know when you have more
information.

Best regards,
Arnulf

--