[Viscom-dev] Software Project references

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu May 31 05:28:52 EDT 2007

Hello,
we have high fecundity in software project references and information. There is one place with homogeneous information provided by OSGeo, several places from which links point to the projects and all project have theis 'private' locations, web site, CMS, Wiki, etc. I have tried to pull them together here.

OSGeo has Info pages on all projects:
* http://www.osgeo.org/grass
* http://www.osgeo.org/mapbender
* http://www.osgeo.org/mapserver
* http://www.osgeo.org/openlayers
* http://www.osgeo.org/etc.

Two are still missing:
* http://www.osgeo.org/qgis (or rather: http://www.osgeo.org/quantumgis ?)
* http://www.osgeo.org/fdo

OSGeo hosts a PDF Info sheet with common OSGeo layout for all projects. Content should be similar (if not identical) to what it says on above info pages.
* http://www.osgeo.org/visibility

Due to formatting issues, layout, branding, etc. it seems like updating these will lie within the responsibility of VisCom. But VisCom will always need to fall back on a primary source that is maintained by the project people. I do not think that this will be done in the CMS directly at http://www.osgeo.org/<project> but rather in a Wiki copy of that page (see below).

OSGeo can also provide for Drupal instances, some make heavy use (MapGuide), some only barely exist there (Mapbender) others do not have such an instance at all.
* http://mapbender.osgeo.org/
* http://mapguide.osgeo.org/

In the OSGeo Wiki there are also some reference pages, either as summary pages:
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GRASS
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mapbender
or very low level:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OpenLayers
or not at all:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FDO

They are linked from several places that also need to be updated on a regular basis, for example:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Contacts

All projects to some degree currently have this diversity and I guess it will stay that way. We have to make sure that the information at the focus places is kept up to date and try to not keep stuff that is not kept up to date anyway. To make this easier I would like to organize this some more and maybe tag them as OSGeo projects, that is easily done by adding a category. Then I would see to VisCom checking these places with a quarterly schedule. Before doing that I wanted to check back whether people are prepared to help as I might not be able to do all of it myself.

WebCom is obviously tied into this process as well but I refrained from cross posting, cross membership should take care of it. It might be interesting to see stats to evaluate which of the above places get most hits.

Fidelity and up-to-dateness will suffer if we do not keep the overview.

Regards, Arnulf.