[Marketing] Marketing plan part 3

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen at Ticheler.net
Mon Nov 12 18:44:19 EST 2007

Dear all,
Sorry for not being very active on this, including following the
marketing irc meetings (or even reading them at this point...) But
since I'll meet Birgit in the coming days in Valencia during the
gvSIG workshop, I would like to know if anyone has strong opinions
about proceeding with this? I'll happily share the financial details
of the proposal with those interested, but won't put them in the
public mailing list. The only thing I can say is that we will have
budget remaining to also do printing of materials etc... from the
marketing budget.
Ciao,
Jeroen

FW:
Dear all,
I would like to take up the discussion again on the marketing
strategy. I have received a positive response and a proposal from
Birgit and Ines.
The following is the proposed plan. I removed the money part for now,
that should be communicated privately I think.
Looking forward to your responses. Maybe we should put the core part
of the proposal below on a wiki page so we can edit it?
Ciao,
Jeroen

29.10.2007
Dear Jeroen:

please find enclosed the quotation for OSGeo communication as
discussed in Roma in October 2007.

I have evaluated all available information in detail and proposed the
necessary measures in the attached quote. Of course, regarding the
“look and feel” there is still room for improvements to get a more
attractive visual appearance which reflects better the living
community, professionalism and business orientation.

Apart from the design, I strongly recommend to set up a communication
concept which gives guidelines for the successful address of target
audiences. (Not too much theory but clear analysis, definitions,
conclusions and useful recommendations.)

The communication concept contains the following:

-       Analysis (current situation -SWOT, trends, target audiences
and their needs and expectations)
-       Positioning for a clear profile: Benefit argumentation – in
general and for different target audiences (for users, business,
partners, sponsors!) Message, Claim(s)
-       Goals in terms of quality (i. e. Image) and quantity (more
users, i.e. 5 more sponsors in 12 months…)
-       Recommended communication mix (apart from the basis
paperwork- is a flyer or white paper extra for sponsors helpful? How
much PR in which media, which themes – user oriented, business /
sponsor oriented…”direct marketing” to win more sponsors - if
necessary, if yes, which kind of?)

This concept will answer very clear to questions like: What are the
needs of our target audiences? How to address them? Do we need
different benefit argumentation, if yes, what should be communicated
and to whom? What should be the message? What communication mix
should be used (PR, Direct Marketing, Paperwork: flyers, white
papers….) in which time frame should the goals be reached? (12 months?)

On basis of this concept a communication plan can be developed
easily: Collateral measures (PR) for events and workshops, special
campaigns to win new sponsors etc., incl. budget planning and schedules.

The overall aim of this is to make OSGeo to a real “brand” where all
the target audiences understand immediately what it stands for.

To create this strategy is a lot of work and usually it costs at
least 3 times more than the price I have offered because of your
tight marketing budget. But I think this is very important to do to
get a correct basis for a continuous, stringent and sustainable
communication which can be used as a background for all content in
website, flyers etc.. A lot of information is already there but it
should be gathered together in a framework and to be reviewed for
being able to draw conclusions and to get the thread through.

Please think about this option, of course, this is up to you and a
question of the budget as well.

Thank you again for your interest in our services. We’d appreciate
much to work with you and your colleagues on a successful OSGeo
communication!

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Birgit

QUOTATION     OSGeo Communication

1.    Design Concept on basis of existing logo
xx EUR

2.    Communication
Concept
xx EUR
(short version, ca. 14 pages, includes conclusions and recommendations)

3.    Brochure
“OSGeo”
xx EUR
           2 sheets / 4 pages (DIN A 4, Format 21 x 29,7 cm)
          Concept, Design/Layout

4.    Website Design
Basisdesign for main page
xx EUR
Basisdesign for underpage
xx EUR
           (both pages ready to use as a master for OSGeo web-
programmer)

            optional:
           complete web site design incl.
text                              on request
           programming ready

5.    OSGeo Journal
      Design Cover                                                xx EUR
      Inside Template                              xx EUR

      Set up of whole Journal
(Layout)                           xx EUR per page

6.    Project
Management
Marketing mailing list
Marketing at lists.osgeo.org