[Marketing] Marketing Targets

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Nov 20 14:33:48 EST 2007

Nice email Arnulf.

WebCom did some initial brainstorming on this, but it kind-of fizzled (due to lack of guidance/mandate?).  You can see some of the results here:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus <http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus>

It would be great if we could look at website focus from this aspect for navigation, etc.

Please note that I am absolutely opposed to anything but natural SEO on our web site.  It would be nice to have the ability to add description (for nicer looking SERPs) and keywords for content correlation, generate a site map, etc, etc.  However, I think that the most important website marketing that we can do is to add targetted content that is important to us and our users (no gateway pages).  Once we know who the users we want to target are, we'll be much further ahead :)

Having used both occult log analysis (Analog, AwStats, WebTrends, etc) and Google Analytics in the past, I have to say that the latter is hands-down better.  I understand that there may be some (privacy?) reluctance to setting up Analytics, but I would be really interested in doing this if there are no show-stoppers.  I'd also like to sign up for a Google Webmaster Tools account so that we can easily see various spider-related problems with our site.  Do these need motions?  And to which committee?  I see a lot of the web-based marketing stuff overlapping with WebCom, and a lot of the technical stuff overlapping with SAC.  I've said this before but...

Jason

From: Arnulf Christl
Subject: [Marketing] Marketing Targets

I suggest to first focus on new potential users, then sponsors. Developers pick all of this it up anyway if they are good. I have put together a few messages and how they are connected. As main targets for Marketing I can identify: