[Marketing] Handouts for Conferences

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 30 20:34:06 EDT 2008

SVN sounds like a great idea for the editable document formats.
Thanks for the notes Arnulf and thanks for sending the shirts Tyler
(they're waiting at the post office for me)

I think my crew can manage to straighten out what we need tonight and
print them out tomorrow.

What do you guys think of a generic business card(or smaller) that just
has the Osgeo logo, quote and url, and maybe a list of projects as a
quick if you only take one thing take this small flashy one that fits in
your wallet.

Thanks,
Alex

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> [...]
>>> weekend. First, I'd like to suggest that a link this page be more
>>> prominent and easily located. I had to search google/osgeo in order
>>> to find it.
>>
>> Yes, my bad. I never followed up with cleaning and ordering the
>> related pages. We should dedicate an IRC meeting and a few mails up
>> front on this list discussing options and then assign tasks. We are
>> not really good at this yet. Means that we have lots of potential to
>> improve. :-)
>>
>>> Also I wanted to see if anyone had any newer material or the editable
>>> files for the v2 handouts.
>>
>> We have them and I guess Tyler has a set and maybe mpg. Again - this
>> is not really too well organized. But since recently we also have an
>> SVN in place and should probably simply upload whatever we have there
>> so that we can sort out whats good and what needs an update:
>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/ (this is all of OSGeo, click on marketing,
>> for our folder). Ask SAC to become a contributor.
>> Thoughts?
>>> We could use some help figuring out what and how many of each to print.
>>> We're open to ideas http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CGS_2008
>>
>> A quick scan of the web site did not tell me anything on the expected
>> number of attendees. It depends a lot on the type of event. Prepare to
>> distribute 10% of 20% of the number of attendees at smaller events
>> (<1000). Depending on the scope of the conference you will see more or
>> less interest for different projects OpenLayers/MapBuilder/Mapbender
>> if its Web 2.0 folks, GRASS if its more scientific and analysis, OSSIM
>> if its 3D building / architecture and 3D enthusiasts, GeoNetwork if
>> its all highlevel public administration and so on.
>> Thinking backwards - how many people can potentially pass by your
>> booth and which projects do you favor? To how many can you actually
>> talk - and then give them the appropriate selection of brochures
>> individually?
>> Double numbers for the general OSGeo flyer, it is the most gerenic and
>> good starting point for anybody. Once they end up on the OSGeo web
>> site or Wiki our job is done.
>> If you have some good soap box talks up the sleeve and there are 1000
>> or more attendees plan for more. At larger events it depends a lot on
>> how exposed your booth is. This is influenced by the location of the
>> catering, number and duration of pauses, general interest of the
>> attendees, immediate interest triggered by talks and so on.
>> Generally for updates of the brochures: We try to keep the brochures
>> generic so that they last some time so that if you have ordered and
>> printed in excess you can distribute them elsewhere.
>> At a later stage we might want to bind the brochures or gather them in
>> a portfolio so that people only have to pick up one to get all. It
>> could be done centrally in off set print and large numbers. But this
>> is a larger issue, very much at an idea stage yet and needs us have a
>>> Alex