[Marketing] Exhibition Pack

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 1 12:37:29 EST 2008

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> Good point.  At the risk of flogging dead horses...
>
> If the question in the floor is "what's the best way to reach people with
> our message?", then we should first ask "what's our message?".  I could come
> up with different responses depending on whether we say "promoting open
> source as an alternative to proprietary stacks" (a general, broad mssg),
> "getting people to use GDAL and MapServer" (a specific mssg), etc.

Michael,

"""
OSGeo Mission Statement

To support the development of open source geospatial software, and promote
its widespread use.
"""

I see our *message* to the software using world as being that there are
open source geospatial options suitable for many workflows and projects,
and that those open source options have some advantages over proprietary
solutions.  Obviously we tend to promote OSGeo projects more heavily than
non-OSGeo projects, but in general we should promote any open source
geospatial project that is good enough to serve a purpose and to reflect
well on the overall effort.

So I think we need to make the general points about the readiness and
advantages of open source geospatial software.  We also need to provide
specific material in support noteworthy projects - showing how they
fit into our general message, and particular uses.

Best regards,