[Marketing] Hey, tradeshow marketing works!

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Wed Dec 10 18:48:24 EST 2008

In the "editor's desk" column of the December 2008 issue of Professional Survey Magazine (page 4), Tom Gibson talks about the importance of software.  A few paragraphs in, he gives a paragraph of introduction to the idea of open source software (citing Linux, natch), and then the next paragraph reads as follows:

    "Here again, the survey arena benefits.  While strolling the aisles of [the] Intergeo
    trade show in Germany last year, I picked up a brochure on the Open Geospatial Foundation
    (OSGeo), which promotes the collaborative development of open geospatial technologies
    and data.  As an example of its efforts, MapGuide Open Source is a web-based platform
    that enables users to quickly develop and deploy web mapping applications and geospatial
    web services.  The brochure pointed out that the United States has a great amount of
    spatial data in the public domain, while in most other countries, it is subject to
    copyright and heavy licensing fees."

Not bad: he gets what OSGeo does, he mentions MapGuide as a useful tool, and he talks about free data.  Three good talking good points, all on-message, and all from our outreach efforts.

Kudos to the brochure cabal!

-mpg