[Marketing] Re: 2009 Budget Planning

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Dec 10 13:33:46 EST 2008

Hi again,

There are a couple points I'd like to follow up on.  Cameron put
together an excellent proposed budget for the exhibition package:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pu9014gybzreYKdV8-WQ_SA
It is also linked from the package wiki page (bottom) where we were
brainstorming costs initially.

For 2009 I would like to see us get the marketing material pulled
together, including supporting material for the exhibition package,
and also for the website.  I think that is a reasonable goal given
our time and budget.  Do you agree?

While I want to see us get to the point of having the option for
complete exhibition packages available, I don't think we need to plan
to produce a specific number of them at this point, as long as we are
working toward building the components needed for them in the future.

The Marketing Budget I propose includes enough room to produce many
copies of some of the general material needed for the packages and at
least a couple "prototype" complete packages.

Rather than try to deliver the exhibition package to a specific
number of local chapters (many of which are not currently active), I
would prefer to look a bit more generally at producing its components.

What do others think.  Cameron, does that make sense to you?

Tyler

On 8-Dec-08, at 10:22 AM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> As discussed at our last meeting[1], I've put some cost estimates
> into the Exhibition Pack[2] and Marketing Budget[3] pages.
>
> It's not critical to nail down the costs for the exhibition pack at
> this point, but some general guidelines have been helpful.  It is,
> however, critical that we agree on a general budget for the
> committee for the year.  The board asked us to plan for around
> $50,000 budget.
>
> I've summarised some of the main points we've discussed for the
> year, including a bit more clarity on the website focus and phase 2
> of our communication plan.
>
> Please review this and give your feedback:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2009
>
> If there are no serious concerns over the next few days then I will
> pass it on to the Finance Committee for formal approval.  I expect
> we will review and modify the budget accordingly throughout the
> year but this will at least help us get our priorities written
> down.  We can discuss further at our next meeting as well if need be.
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Meeting_2008.11.14
> [2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Exhibition_Pack
> [3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Budget_2009
>
> Best wishes,