[Marketing] just some thoughts

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Dec 13 20:09:58 EST 2008

I don't see us explaining Open Source as our main purpose but something
we have to be prepared to talk about in the various venues we end up in.
Yes, some still don't know Open Source but more importantly many still
have an irrational fear of what they don't understand.

We're not making flyers about Open Source itself or going to events that
are completely unrelated to our user base, ie I'm not going to table at
my local farmer's market for OSGeo but I do for my local LUG all the
time. But I am going to an academic geography conference and showing
people that they can do their studies without an expensive black box and
that if they work with gov/non-profits its a good option to keep on the
table when starting projects.

The other thing to realize is that there are non-technical
decision/influencers who might get the basics but have to convince their
techie it's what they want. Kinda like you asking your doctor about a
drug you heard about that might work for your condition.

I think we're making progress identifying the targets of our PR but it's
a little more varied than any of us individually thought and at some
point we will need a way to quantify returns on our outreach.

Alex