[Marketing] my 2 cents on spending funds (was: Website Redesign)

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Dec 30 20:05:45 EST 2008

This year the spanish language chapter grown a lot and debates on the
future of our community started to be more and more practice.

as part of the spanish language board (board-es) I've participated to
interesting meetings on how to spend some possible funds.
we still have no budget but we are willing to (dreaming is still not a
pity, afaik).

one of the things we have focused is what we are doing, as chapter or
osgeo,  differently from what the single projects do.
they do software, it's clear, and what about us?
I've heard a couple of critics out there about this.

A dream for us would be to spend some funds on that kind of initiatives
we have started but would need a professional support to boost.
- the free GIS book. Who doesn't want it?!?
- a well done catalog of educational material (see universities curses)
available online in CC and translated in as much languages as possible.
- to see the journal supported in a way to have precise publishing
deadline and translations ready.

we know all this initiative are already up and running, we started some
of them, but they suffers of continuous stops and it's not easy to see
an end.
this are a kind of things that a discontinuous professional support can
improve a lot. I guess it is the same for some SAC tasks and so on.

we are hoping to deal with this sponsorships inside our community but I
would like to share our ideas, hoping to refine them and/or find
external support.

ciao
Lorenzo