[Marketing] New draft logos

Daniele daniele at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Mar 19 04:23:31 EDT 2008

venka.osgeo wrote:
> Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I also agree with Michael on this.  We can add the "Project"
>> and "Sponsor" texts without changing the logo.  We can't be changing
>> logos every year--that would be very expensive and will confuse a lot
>> of people.  I do like the new logos but, as Tyler says, is there a
>> clear rationale for this.  Also, does the rest of OSGeo know that
>> we're changing the logo?  This might be one of those things that
>> could get people riled up when they see things have changed all of a
>> sudden.
>
> I agree with above too. Just adding "Project" and
> "Sponsor" in some creative way
> to the existing logo would suffice.
>
> Venka

Dear all,

Yes, a change in the logo can make users confused and taking into
account that the number of Unique Visitors to OSGeo has *more than
doubled* in the last month (look here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/KPI%27s_and_AWStat_data) it may not be an
interesting time to change the logo, as this may be a good period for
Branding... in the hope that these visitors will come back to OSGeo, it
is important not to confuse them with a whole new Image... not that the
one we have is perfect, it can definitely be improved.
But maybe... this is a good time to focus on issues such as the
marketing _within_ the Organization (Deciding The Vision and Value
statements for example), stepping towards a possible Marketing Plan
_and_ aiming for *more visitors, contributors, sponsors* in a structured
way. So that we can actually measure the return that has occurred over
the marketing investments.

Daniele.