[Marketing] New draft logos

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Mar 23 23:47:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, March 19, 2008 09:23, Daniele wrote:
> venka.osgeo wrote:
>> Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
>>

>>> FWIW, I also agree with Michael on this.  We can add the "Project"
>>> and "Sponsor" texts without changing the logo.  We can't be changing
>>> logos every year--that would be very expensive and will confuse a lot
>>>  of people.  I do like the new logos but, as Tyler says, is there a
>>> clear rationale for this.  Also, does the rest of OSGeo know that
>>> we're changing the logo?  This might be one of those things that could
>>> get people riled up when they see things have changed all of a sudden.
>>>

>> I agree with above too. Just adding "Project" and
>> "Sponsor" in some creative way
>> to the existing logo would suffice.
>>
>> Venka
>>

> Dear all,
>

> Yes, a change in the logo can make users confused and taking into
> account that the number of Unique Visitors to OSGeo has *more than doubled*
> in the last month (look here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/KPI%27s_and_AWStat_data) it may not be an

Hi Daniele,
thanks for the pointer, I missed that one. This is good news. I think as
long as we do not have deeper content there is not much reason to stay
longer than 30 seconds though. Obviously MapGuide will produce most hits
as it is the only project that started right off OSGeo and did not have
much of a history before.

Btw. there are more stats at the Wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Statistics

> interesting time to change the logo, as this may be a good period for
> Branding... in the hope that these visitors will come back to OSGeo, it
> is important not to confuse them with a whole new Image... not that the one
> we have is perfect, it can definitely be improved. But maybe... this is a
> good time to focus on issues such as the marketing _within_ the
> Organization (Deciding The Vision and Value
> statements for example), stepping towards a possible Marketing Plan _and_
> aiming for *more visitors, contributors, sponsors* in a structured way. So
> that we can actually measure the return that has occurred over the
> marketing investments.
>
> Daniele.

As this does not seem to work in the traditional ways of doing marketing
(mpg will wholeheartedly follow this line of failure - ahm - thought)
maybe we could consider modifying strategies a little.

Regards, Arnulf.