[Marketing] New draft logos

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Mar 23 23:34:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, March 19, 2008 00:18, Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>
>> On 17-Mar-08, at 12:29 PM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry if I'm late replying, I've been on vacation...
>>>

>>> As I said on IRC a couple weeks ago, I strongly urge no change to the
>>>  current set of logos.
>>>
>>> Rationale: we paid considerable $$$ to PushDesign for these a couple
>>> years ago, and I don't see any need to change our logo style or color
>>> scheme.
>>
>> The more I think about it, the more I agree with Michael on this,
>> especially as I start to consider all the places our logo would need to
>> be changed (ack!).  I'm not so worried about the cost if we have a clear
>> motive and purpose.  Do we feel a change is necessary and are we willing
>> to make the change "across the board".. everywhere that it will need it?
>>

>> Initially I thought we were only going to be tweaking the logo to make
>> it more usable in certain contexts, and to add the additional tag lines.
>> I must have misunderstood, but it didn't sink in until we got
>> this spread of new logo options.
>>
>> I'm not afraid of change, but I'm reluctant on this aspect.
>> Essentially I want to be sure that the benefit is clear to the
>> community and supporters.   I may be convinced to give it my vote if our
>> rationale is clearer.
>
> FWIW, I also agree with Michael on this.  We can add the "Project" and
> "Sponsor" texts without changing the logo.  We can't be changing logos
> every year--that would be very expensive and will confuse a lot of people.
> I do like the new logos but, as Tyler says, is there a clear
> rationale for this.  Also, does the rest of OSGeo know that we're changing
> the logo?  This might be one of those things that could get people riled
> up when they see things have changed all of a sudden.
>
> -Perry

I must say that in this respect I disrespect the masses. Anybody who wants
to have a say on how our logo looks like can sign up for Marketing
Committee and then complain and suggest better alternatives as long as
they want to (there must be some reason why we bother with all this
organizational committee stuff). That is - after people have helped
staffed OSGeo booths at conferences, helped make new flyers, translate the
web site, add news, redesign the SPD, participate in meetings and so on.

The problem is that the softer the topic the more people think they need
to voice their opinion. There is nothing that can be much softer than
"Whats in a name" (anybody care to remember? :-) or in a logo.

Try this one: Would anybody be offended if I change the behavior of this
list to answer to the list and not the poster? (/me runs for cover)

Regards,
Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Benno Christl