[Marketing] New draft logos

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sun Mar 23 23:54:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, March 12, 2008 20:14, Jason Birch wrote:
> Arnulf wrote:
>
>> I like version 3b.
>>

> I don't really have a vote, but I like 3b too, and would second your
> motion and +1 if I was on the committee :)

OK, so we have yet another vote for the new spiky logo.

Even although you are not on the committee officially - what do you think
of loosening our tight grip on the logo a little as proposed?

> On the other pages, I like the smaller text, left justified, and the
> thinner ring.  Specifically:
>
> Page 2: 1a, 2a
> Page 3: 1a, 2d, 2e, 2f
>

> I prefer that the inner star match the outer band colour (which would be
> a modification of 1a and 2a on page 2, and 1a on page 3), but could be
> convinced that it makes more sense for it to stay green.

I also think that the overall color should stay green.

> That GRASS logo is great, and similarly tasteful modifications of the
> OSGeo logo would be awesome to see.  However, I _really_ think that for
> brand protection we need an ND clause on our logo to prevent nasty
> derivatives.  Perhaps we could have a process to integrate creative works
> into our website somewhere?  Google does something like this:
>
> http://www.google.com/customlogos.html   (probably hasn't been updated
> in ages)
>
> But I like this one best:
>

> http://www.evisibility.com/blog/say-hello-to-the-new-google-bot-logo/
>

> Jason

So if we really want to open this up a bit what do you think of setting up
a Wiki page for people to add derivatives (this term gets me thinking that
we might want to actually 'license' the logo?). I imagine that nothing
much would happen at all. We are all busy enough and the user base might
be just slightly smaller than Google's...

--
Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com