[Marketing] OSgeo at Finnish GIS expo, 23-24 Sep 2008

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sat May 31 11:30:56 EDT 2008

Ari,
I am trying to extract those items that Marketing could take over or
provide for you. Please speak up whenever anything is unclear and don't
expect this list to follow up automagically - unfortunately we are no more
than an underrepresented, lax bunch of volunteers.

On Fri, May 23, 2008 09:05, Ari Jolma wrote:
> Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) kirjoitti:
>
>> This is good news. There are several options how to organize and manage
>> a booth for OSGeo
>
> Thanks.
>
> It seems that the funds are not a problem. There will probably be a
> space to share with people interested in presenting all things open source.
> Hopefully its not a competition of publicity etc.

In its charter OSGeo states that it tries to be a comfortable home for all
things open source. On th other hand competition drives excellence,
balancing it makes the perfect mix.

> The next thing then (assuming I get some people to stand there as "OSGeo
> representatives" besides me)

This can be helped by spreading word. Currently a Google search for
"Finnish GIS Expo" on my box turns up this thread and nothing but. This is
only because Google tries to be nice to us...

First off you should add a page in the Wiki for this event (lacking any
more informationi could not do that). Once you know that you will
definitely be attending add it to the OSGeo calendar (I forgot how to do
that but someone will know) and maybe give it to the news editor.

> is flyers, banners, T-shirts to give as
> lottery prices and what else. I do have my stack of those that I have not
> used (too small GDAL shirt and too large OSGeo shirt :) but how can this
> be organized?

There is a Marketing budget that we can tap if things are needed. Before
we do that we try to find a generous sponsor and often enough that works.
Just let this list know it if did not work for you. (Hmmm - this sounds
like a punishment - hey I failed in collecting funds, can you help me. Got
to work out how to do this in another way.)

> BTW, I don't like getting them free, I'd feel better if I
> paid a yearly membership fee, which would be used for these kind of
> things, or there was a price tag.

This is a good comment but it should be discussed outside of this event
planning. We have been wrapping our brains around this idea before and
never came to a good solution. The nearest thing to spending some money
for OSGeo is to click on the "Make a Donation (Any amount)" link on
http://www.osgeo.org - but it is far off a regular membership fee.

> I think we can organize computers with all tools and various
> configurations. I believe network is provided by the organizers by default.
> I remember there were servers and data set up for demo
> purposes, is this still operational?

There are all kinds of services up but not really registered centrally
within OSGeo. Check telascience.org and maybe ping the Public Geodata
Committee list. One effort trying to centralize information for software
might be this list:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Documentation
but it still lacks a column "demo applications". But most projects feature
some kind of gallery when you go on their pages.

OSGeo print stuff: There is one introductory brochure for OSGeo and one
sheet for each project in English language (we need to check back on this
list where to organize them, they always seem to be somewhere else).
Especially the OSGeo paper is ideal to get translated to Finnish language
as its contents are by now fairly stable.

Best regards,
Aarnii.

> Ari
>

> --
> Prof. Ari Jolma
> Geoinformatiikka / Geoinformatics
> Teknillinen Korkeakoulu / Helsinki University of Technology
> tel: +358 9 451 3886 address: POBox 1200, 02015 TKK, Finland
> Email: ari.jolma at tkk.fi URL: http://www.tkk.fi/~jolma

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com