[Marketing] AAG 2009 Proposal

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 14 16:18:33 EDT 2008

I support the proposed approach and discussed it today with Alex in
more detail:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AAG_2009
At the end of the day it's whether or not we want to have a booth -
that will cost $1,000.  The other costs are very flexible and
alternatives will be sought to cover them.

$1,000 is, relatively speaking, great value for money and virtually
supports local chapters around North America and, apparently,
internationally too.  We've lamented not having a booth at AAG for
several years now.  I see it as a strategic outreach that crosses
disciplines, focuses on potential users and has a large number of
interested attendees.

Time is running out and we need to make a $500 deposit ASAP, before
they close us out of having a booth.  Since the event isn't until
next year, that gives us lots of time to work on further sponsorships
or partnerships to help fund the remaining $500 of the booth.

Also, even though it's always a good strategy to reduce our costs or
cost-share for these kinds of events - these are some of the things
our foundation sponsors sponsor us to do.  So finding OSGeo sponsors
helps to make these events more sustainable in the future.

Tyler

On 8-Oct-08, at 12:48 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Alex,
> I don't expect you will get a commitment from the Marketing
> Committee before Tyler returns (on Monday).
>
> Even then, OSGeo's budget is small, ~ $3K per local chapter. And
> I'd argue that OSGeo doesn't have resources to fully fund
> participation at any event.
>
> I suggest you approach local Open Source industry who will be at
> the conference. You may be able to share a booth with them.
>
> Commercial Support for Open Source is key to the user value
> proposition, and without it Open Source uptake will be limited.

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director
Open Source Geospatial Foundation
tmitchell at osgeo.org