[Marketing] First OSGeo event in Portugal

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Mon Oct 27 07:54:41 EDT 2008

Hi all,

This is just a brief note to return some feedback about the first OSGeo
event in Portugal.

It was organized by the promoters of a Portuguese OSGeo Local Chapter.
The event was in Águeda, hosted by the local University and the
Municipality. It was the first one, so no one suspected such interest.
In the week before de event, the registration was closed due to the lack
of space to accommodate properly the participants. It was a one day and
a half dedicated to presentations and another one day and a half to 9
hands-on workshops.

The OSGeo was very well represented by Lorenzo Bechi. Besides his
technical skills, Lorenzo also contributed a lot in the plenary session,
were all issues related with the Local Chapter were discussed. Besides
Lorenzo, Alejandra Maganto from IGN/Spain was also invited and made a
very interesting presentation about FOSS4G tools used in the national
and regional SDI context, in Spain.

The event was sponsored by 3 companies (Novageo, Autodesk and Skysoft),
and the National Mapping agency. There was also a social partner. The
participants kit was bought to the social partner and all profit will be
given to them (yes, the event generated about 2.000 Euros profit). We
didn’t charge the workshop’s teachers and we also paid their
accommodation in Águeda (and still have profit). The registration price
was between 50,00 Euro (students) to 100,00 Euro (professionals) with
all included (also access to workshops). Authors had a 25% discount.

All aspects regarding the organization were completely transparent, from
the beginning (choosing the place and the organizing committee) to the
end. All information circulated in the Local Chapter’s mailing list and
the event’s website.

The materials and ideas shared by Tyler, Tim and Arnulf were helpful.
Thanks for the [Marketing] feedback. We were able to manage the event,
get the founding, etc, but we expected at least to be appear in the
OSGEo web site event list. That’s the kind of things we can’t do.

In summary, the event was a major success. The community is really full
of life and willing to participate. The (Portuguese) tribe is ready!

Best regards,
Jorge, Rita, Miguel, Mário, Victor e Danilo

P.S. Attached is photo of the opening ceremony, with the OSGeo logo in
the front of the table.
--
jorge gustavo rocha
departamento de informática

P.S. Mudei de número de telemóvel.
Use pf este novo número 927210173 (operador: UZO/TMN)