[Marketing] Re: [Foss4g2008loc] Integration showcase: Feedback

Geoff Zeiss geoff.zeiss at autodesk.com
Sat Sep 20 14:52:42 EDT 2008

I have experienced some very successful interoperability (geospatial) workshops

Important features
- the OGC (greg buehler) organized them, this makes the workshop to be perceived as non-denominational
- they focussed on open standards (wms, wfs, gml)
- there were ~10 vendors involved, at FOSS4G I would suggest encouraging ESRI, Intergraph, MapInfo and other closed source vendors to participate, I expect that Autodesk would want to participate and focus on FDO
- participation was organized in advance, greg put a lot of effort into signing up vendors and ensuring there were enough servers and clients from different vendors to make it interesting
- primarily technical people from the vendors were involved
- it was a mainstage event, so it got a lot of attention
- there were significant publicity benefits to the participants, not participating was a negative
- there was a scenario around a disaster management theme that made it very clear to the audience and participants how important interoperability is in the real world

Geoff

geospatial.blogs.com