[Marketing] Re: [Foss4g2008loc] Integration showcase: Feedback

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 20 22:00:24 EDT 2008

Thanks Geoff,

looks like we need to significantly rejig our integration showcase
efforts for Sydney.  I believe if we do no more than duplicate what's
already been done it will be a failure otherwise.  Your insights are
valuable in helping us plan this.  Assuming we take Geoff's advice wrt
the OGC, who would like to take the lead in getting them involved for
Sydney?

Issues:  Getting OSGeo projects to involve at the same level of
participation at the proprietary vendors would require considerable
resources for each project.  Perhaps each project would need a
commercial sponsor or co-sponsors (ie, Refractions sponsors
PostgreSQL/PostGIS, Lisasoft Geoserver, DM Solutions Mapserver, Autodesk
(or local reseller?) Mapguide OS etc).  This way each would have the
ability to maximise the marketing potential of the exercise.  Without
that, I suspect it is much harder for a project to find the resources to
fully participate.  Maybe this, and lack of a credible event scenario
has been part of the problem to date?

If we go down this route, can we get the OGC to bend their minds this
way quickly enough to announce their in principle support in time for
the Cape Town closing plenary Sydney sales slot?  Probably not, which is
a pity.

Regards,
Tim Bowden