[Marketing] Sponsorship Seeking

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Apr 17 15:41:16 EDT 2009

In California we've started sending letters to local companies to see if
we can get some local sponsors for all the events we want to exhibit at.
I rethought some of my original targets though and think it would be
better if the Foundation approached the publishers in particular:
O'Reilly, Springer, and Apress who have all published books either on or
 including OSGeo software and mostly by OSGeo affiliated authors.

It also highlighted the need for use to do a better job keeping track of
what events OSGeo has had exhibits at since these potential sponsors
will want to know. Is the wiki category tags working well enough, I know
I'm making pages for every event I do but I don't think thats always the
case.

Examples:
OSCON 2008 - from what I hear we had a booth, but you wouldn't know that
from the wiki
WAURISA - Upcoming event that the Cugos chapter is going to exhibit at
isn't on the wiki either.
KSRS(Korean Society of Remote Sensing) - past
GISAK(GIS Association of Korea) - future

I think it's pretty important that we have a good list to show potential
sponsors, if they saw that we're getting to 50 conferences around the
world a year, that's quite a selling point.

I don't have a solution just want to start the discussion.

PS: Tyler - We are exhibiting at CGS May 2, if you can put that on the
Calendar http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CGS_2009

Thanks,
Alex