[Marketing] web site refactoring [was: Marketing Digest, Vol 16, Issue 10]

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Mon Jan 19 06:38:44 EST 2009

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Daniele,
> No need to be sorry. It is excellent to see people taking initiative.
+1

@Daniele: if you can please use a better subject than "Marketing
Digest", we would appreciate.

> Re who is in responsible for what:
>
> The beauty of OSGeo is that anyone can join any committee, so it is
> incredibly easy for us to restructure ourselves.
>
> The marketing committee have collectively noted that Websites are
> important for marketing, and that $$ should be allocated to the
> website from the marketing budget. Only $20K (plus I think webcom had
> $10K already?) and that will not go far.
>
> I think that Webcom should continue to be responsible for the website,
> and also responsible for spending the $20K budget. Any marketing
> people who want to have a say can join the webcom email list. (I
> suspect most of us are on the list already).

I think this is a great initiative but remembers me some projects for
the development I've seen here and there travelling around.
I guess that if you want to give $20K to webcom you should better ask
them if they are interested in and what is their feeling about
priorities (participative approach [1]).
Chris has sent a good list of objections and I have some more that I've
posted [2] before.

regards
lorenzo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participation_(decision_making)