[Marketing] web site refactoring

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 19 17:30:18 EST 2009

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> I think this is a great initiative but remembers me some projects
> for the development I've seen here and there travelling around.
> I guess that if you want to give $20K to webcom you should better
> ask them if they are interested in and what is their feeling about
> priorities (participative approach [1]).
> Chris has sent a good list of objections and I have some more that
> I've posted [2] before.

To me, it doesn't matter "who" is spending the money as long as all
those involved agree on where to go.  I agree, let's move all
discussions on this thread over to the Web committee mailing list.

Putting on my webcom hat, I was really motivated by Chris' email that
he sent to the board last month:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2008-December/002799.html

There weren't many responses to it, but at our next marketing
committee meeting there was a marked increase in interest to review
the website with marketing and targeting in mind.

I'm also encouraged by Jody's ongoing interest in helping target our
message:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/marketing/2009-January/002099.html

I agree that a more targeted approach is needed and that the end
result would be a simplified website that guides users, developers
and business folks to the right kinds of tools and solutions that
they need.  I have more brainstorming I will put into a wiki page,
but follows much of the same thought as Jody and Chris.

Many on the marketing committee are also interested in helping things
improve, so I believe it is a good time to discuss general ideas and
issues (and objections or concerns).  No one is going to force a
change if the rest of webcom (besides me) feels this is not an area
of interest, but I hope we can recognise that Marketing and Webcom
share the same goals: advance the mission of OSGeo!