[Marketing] Re: guidelines to change/combine the OSGeo-Logo into localchapter Logos

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 9 10:15:51 EDT 2009

It's great to see that I think others in the committee summarised the
issues nicely.  Cameron is right, it was discussed during an earlier
meeting though not all committee members attended and the discussion
back on the list was not thorough.   The consensus was to move toward
more "open" approach for local chapters, while retaining clear
control over the "main" logo.

 From that meeting, as per Alex's note, local chapters should feel
free to invent their own logo (with or without components of the main
OSGeo logo) - HOWEVER, when showing a logo for OSGeo it should be one
of the standard logos.  The problem comes if you want to use the
customised local chapter logo as a way of representing OSGeo in
general - this is not recommended.

To summarise, a local chapter that has a customised logo should also
use the main OSGeo logo or the OSGeo "Local Chapter" version.  Is
this a clear enough explanation?  If so, I can make a motion for
adopting this approach.  If not, then it obviously warrants more
discussion :)

Also, usage guidelines are being reviewed and a DRAFT is available.
The goal was to make these simplified.  The main issues around
customisation and minimum sizes is an open issue still though the
designers have some comments on them in this draft.  Any further
comments or questions about it - I can summarise them for the designer.

http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/marketing/guidelines/OSGeo%20Official%
20Branding%20Guide.pdf

Tyler

On 2-Jun-09, at 5:52 AM, Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. wrote:

> Dear marketing-committee, dear Tyler and Arnulf,
>
> referencing the meeting of the marketing-committee from january
> ([1-4])
> the FOSSGIS e.V. who represents german language OSGeo local chapter
> D-A-CH created a new logo for the FOSSGIS association itself including
> the function of representing OSGeo in the german language countries.
> IMHO the guidelines for local chapters are still not fixed and that
> brings us in a little problem. Unlike the other local chapters we
> had to
> change the colors of the OSGeo-Logo elements to fit our logo [0]. The
> main color of the FOSSGIS/OSGeo D-A-CH is a specific orange,
> referencing
> on the big and significant FOSSGIS-conference hosted by OSGeo lc D-
> A-CH
> since years (even before FOSSGIS e.V. officially became an OSGeo local
> chapter). The logo of the OSGeo lc D-A-CH was chosen by a contest and
> therfore came out to be integrative - bringing together the
> tradition of
> FOSSGIS e.V. (fka GAV e.V.), OSGeo and the FOSSGIS-conference. the
> whole
> contest was transparent all the time and surely tracked by Arnulf and
> other german OSGeo activists.
> Before we start producing a bunch of marketing stuff (banners, roll-
> ups,
> flyers, ...) I want to be clear that the usage of the logo will be
> declared compatible with our function of representing the OSGeo in
> D, A
> & CH.
>
> An early reply will oblige
>

> Marco Lechner