[Marketing] OSGeo benefits

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 16:47:48 EDT 2010

dear Paul, thanks for the advice, appreciated.

On 27/04/2010 16:26, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Too many squishies. #1 is save money. Here's #2 and 3

Right, the community/status stuff is in there partly because i do think
a bit squishily, partly to chime with status-seeking of regional
government looking for more independence - partnerships with European
peers, etc.

> 2 --
> Gain leverage with your vendor, by pursuing a dual-vendor strategy.
> http://jamesdixon.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/reduce-software-costs-with-a-dual-vendor-strategy/

A good one, though the wording is a bit business-bluffy. I read Ursula
Le Guin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" and these kind of statements
remind me of the social game of "shifgrethor"...

> 3 --
> Gain future systems flexibility by pursuing a more flexible, component
> oriented technology strategy.
> http://opengeo.org/publications/opengeo-architecture/

Right, I hope i was implying this in 5) Rapid access to innovations

> N --
> Engage your technology staff, by offering them something new to learn
> and master. Techies love open source.

A *very* good point which i will emphasise, in trying to find a balance
between the approaches.

cheers,

jo

--