[Marketing] a banner server?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 16:22:17 EDT 2010

On 27/08/10 20:16, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:41, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> You skipped an important question, in my opinion:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>

>> Why? In theory a banner server will increase awareness and ultimate uptake
>> of Open Source software. In practice, a banner service running on an OSGeo
>> server is preaching to the converted.
>>
> i cannot agree. please notice we do not have to announce osgeo
> rationale, but we can e.g. display current events without any
> involvement from page authors. they need to put a code once, and later
> we can change the content centrally. we can also propose to include
> the code on other pages, not only these which belong to osgeo, to help
> us promote osgeo-related actions.

I can see the value of listing OSGeo related events (conferences) on the
website.
(Although I am aware that rotating content is often seen as distracting
and annoying).

I wonder if it is possible to include a banner based upon physical
location. Eg: only German speaking countries get to see the banner for
the German speaking GeoFOSS conference.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director