[Marketing] Language support for the Live Project

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 6 03:39:02 EST 2010

So I've managed to get language packs installed. Oddly while the menu
titles in xfce-panel don't seem to change the menu in them is definately
in the correct language based on login (I've tested QGIS with German and
Spanish so far).

Adding 18 language packs took about 129 MB but I'm not sure if the gnome
language packs are needed too or the spelling dictionaries. Of course
picking which languages to support is now the real challenge. So far I
went directly with a list off wikipedia of the most # of speakers in the
world. I went all the way to 20 but a few of them don't have language
packs in Ubuntu.

This list long term should lead us towards finding translators for our
help files and all the apps (assuming they aren't already translated).

There seem to be 2 other alternate ways to pick though.
1. based on OSGeo chapter languages
2. based on the languages the OSGeo site supposedly supports
translations for.

Here are the comparative lists, if we had to cut it to 10 languages
which would you pick?

# of Speakers:
  sp \ #Spanish
  en \ #English
  hi \ #Hindi/Urdu
  ar \ #Arabic
  bn \ #Bengali
  pt \ #Portuguese
  ru \ #Russian
  ja \ #Japanese
  de \ #German
  jv \ #Javanese - no language pack
  pa \ #Punjabi pa
# no language code for Wu may not be a written language
  fr \ #French
  te \ #Telugu
  vi \ #Vietnamese
  mr \ #Marathi