[Marketing] Trademark FAQ Review

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Nov 23 16:07:34 EST 2010

On 11/23/2010 11:32 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Alex,
> Had a quick skim over the document and think you have done a good job.
>
> Couple of comments:
> * Under "Service Providers"
> You start with "OSGeo Sponsors ..." which I suspect you mean to say
> "OSGeo Service Providers ..."

Thanks for catching that, a little too much copy/paste going on last night.

> * Under OSGeo Chapter
> I suggest changing the following:
> "Chapters may either display their own logo alongside the OSGeo logo
> and/or use a slightly modified version of the OSGeo logo."
> "Chapters may display their own logo and/or the OSGeo logo.  Chapter
> logos can be a modified version of the OSGeo logo."
>
> Note that some chapters have modified the OSGeo-Logo image. Eg Aust-NZ:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Aust-NZ

Actually I meant what I said. Since the decision is still out, we never
reached a conclusion in the marketing committee, and possibly requires
the board to nod in approval, I was erring on the cautious side which is
that sure it's ok to modify the OSGeo logo if you are a chapter but you
also should show the regular OSGeo logo with it. To me this is the only
way to really play it safe under Trademark laws, and to be clear when a
Chapter is recognized by OSGeo and demonstrate it's relationship to OSGeo.

You can see from the language I chose, that I'm discouraging, but not
banning the use of a highly modified OSGeo logo without also putting the
regular osgeo logo on the page. The wiki page you mentioned actually
meets this recommendation, as the OSGeo logo is in the upper left of the
page.

Note: Copyright isn't an issue because we can easily do a CC-NC but
Trademark is a whole different game. There's also the question of Brand
dilution.

Thanks,
Alex