[Marketing] Event listing (was: [Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] Which 2011 conferences should we distribute OSGeo-Live DVDs at?])

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 07:34:00 EDT 2010

  Tyler,
Is it possible to add extra fields into the feed?

Information I think we should have:

* Event Name
* Start
* End
* Location
* URL of Conference
* OSGeoAttending? (Yes, No, Undecided)
   Note, it is important to list big non-Open GeoSpatial conferences so
we can avoid clashing dates
* OSGeoWikiURL for this conference

And what is the process for adding events to the RSS feed source? I can
add some items.

On 29/10/2010 8:24 AM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> On 2010-10-28, at 1:22 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>

>> On 2010-10-28, at 12:43 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>
>>> What is required by event organisers, and the osgeo-live team, is a
>>> chronological list of upcoming events. To achieve this currently
>>> from the wiki, you would need to dig through 20 or so web pages,
>>> which is not practical.
>>>
>>> The RSS feed of events at http://osgeo.org <http://osgeo.org/> looks
>>> promising, if we can have all potential events listed via that RSS feed.
>>> I assume we'd be able to assign categories to the feed?
>>> Eg: have: http://osgeo.org/rss_events?category=proposed
>>>
>>> What options do we have available to us for the RSS feed?
>>
>> We've kept the current events listing on osgeo.org/news
>> <http://osgeo.org/news> to only include events pertaining to open
>> source or where OSGeo will be present (more or less).  We could add a
>> field to the new event form then filter using it for the rss feed (or
>> for a new feed).  I think we have good flexibility on this front!
>>  We'd have to open up the ability for more folks to add to the list
>> of events.
>>
>> I can take a crack at it.
>
> Done - the ability to enter a 'proposed' flag is built in now.  A
> separate feed as also available:
> http://www.osgeo.org/events/feed/proposed
>
> Now who will be adding the events?

Cameron Shorter