[Marketing] No cost FOSS4G registration with sponsorship?

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 1 00:29:33 EST 2011

Thanks for the note Eli, these are good questions.  I've tossed the idea around a couple times - ultimately it's a board a decision since it affects the sponsorship program in general.    You bring up many of the same points that have been kicked around too.

You asked if it was a possibility for this year - I would suspect not.  However, have we got a deal for you!  Become a Bronze level FOSS4G sponsor for $1,500 and get a free pass, a $500 value  (or go for silver at $7,500 and get 2 passes a $1,000 value).  Even if we had a foundation sponsorship free deal it would start only as low as our $3000 sponsorship level - so grab a Bronze level to get the best deal right now - and enjoy P.R. as long as possible, along with a reduced cost to attend.

I've always pitched it from the OSGeo Foundation Sponsorship angle only.  With the way that the Project level sponsorships are arranged, they are free to use it the way the project steering committees see fit - as long as it is inline with the objectives of the foundation of course, not for purposes that the IRS won't like, I mean.

I don't think the board would want to change how projects spend their sponsorship funds, but I think there is some general support for the broader foundation sponsorship idea.  I'll forward your note onto the board for further discussion at the board meeting later this week.

Hope that makes some sense,

Tyler