[Marketing] Status of the Marketing Committee

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:34:54 EST 2011

Arnulf,
For the last year or two, committee meetings have been attended mainly
only by Tyler, Alex Mandel, Brian Hamlin, and sometimes one or two others.
Alex, Brian and myself also work on the OSGeoLive DVD, and some of the
activities previously being done under the marketing banner are now
being done under a OSGeoLive banner.
In particular:
* Project Overviews for all projects
* A presentation for all projects

Others who have been on the committee in the past have been leaders of
Open Source companies, but have drifted back into not speaking up. I
can't speak for them, but expect it would come down to feeling that
their time and budgets is better spent in other marketing activities -
eg: building presentations and presenting at foss4g events, or more
targeted marketing for their own companies.

The other activity Marketing was taking on was managing a marketing pack
for conferences, and occasional seed funding for conferences. This is a
particularly challenging task as previous budgets fall short of
expectations from people wishing to get funded for osgeo representation
at conferences.

Here is the maths:
* Previous marketing budget ~ $30K p.a.

* International or regional conferences where it would be nice to be
represented: 20 to 50
* Local geospatial events where it would be nice to have OSGeo
representation: 100s to 1000s. (I can think of 5 to 10 candidate annual
events in Australia, and their are hundreds of countries)
* Once off costs per local chapter (banners etc) ~ $400
* Cost of a booth at a conference ~ $4K
* Travel of an ambassador to a conference ~ $2K to $10K
* Cost of expendables per event (DVDs, fliers) ~ $300

I'm personally prepared to help a committee of 10 active members, but I
don't have the time to take on a greater commitment than that.