[Marketing] How should OSGeo Marketing spend $10K

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Apr 11 06:16:58 PDT 2013

Hi Cameron, all,

I'll answer with two different hats:

1- As a OSGeo community member who is also the lead of a local chapter:

My experience from trying to organize OSGeo's presence at events in the
past is that DVDs/USBs/Stickers might be nice to give away, but to make
a real impact, you'd need a couple of simple flyers that explain
efficiently what OSGeo is about, what it does, and why visitors should
care about it. This was a blocker for us (the Quebec chapter) and would
be even more important than DVDs/USBs/Stickers and local groups don't
have the time/resource/knowledge to prepare that.

If this material already exists then great, let's promote it and not
focus solely on the DVDs. It's easy to send out a PDF to organizers that
they can print locally at very low cost. As an active member of OSGeo I
was not able to find anything relevant last time I checked, so we ended
up abandoning our free OSGeo booth due to lack of contents (and as the
organizer of the rest of the event I didn't have time to work on that).
If the material had existed in English we could have translated it, but
I could not even find a relevant English flyer.

All this to say that personally I am questioning whether it is really
worth sending out DVDs/USBs/Stickers to 50 - 100 events around the world
when we are lacking a simple PDF in multiple languages that local people
could print to hand out at a booth.

2- With my treasurer hat on:

Dozens or hundreds of micro-payments is clearly a no-go given the
current setup (unfortunately).

Daniel

--
Daniel Morissette