[Marketing] PDX request for Exhibition Pack and OSGeo Live DVD and USB funds

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Apr 25 14:44:02 PDT 2013

Cameron and Outreach committee,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> Hi Cameron, and All,
>
> FYI the 30$ is for wire fees which is the preferred method for
> international payments.
>
> For payments in USA and Canada which would the the case for PDX then I can
> mail a check and the cost is more in the range of 2$ (stamp + check costs).
>
> Daniel
>

> On 13-04-25 4:55 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Eli,
>> Great to see you pushing this forward. I see that you have a very tight
>> timeline and at the moment, the OSGeo Marketing Committee hasn't
>> resolved our issue of micro payments. (It costs OSGeo $30 to make a
>> payment).
>>
>> We have an outstanding proposal that funding can be requested for $2 DVD
>> for 10% of attendees, for legitimate events. (That would be $80 for
>> consumables).
>> More can be requested if you have matching funding. Do you have a
>> co-sponsor?
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/**pipermail/marketing/2013-**March/002929.html<http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/marketing/2013-March/002929.html>

The GIS In Action conference is co-sponsoring to the extent of a
complimentary booth that would otherwise cost $450.  We are also getting
space the following day for the PDX-OSGeo unconference (I'm not exactly
sure how that is being sponsored).  The general sentiment was that branded
USBs make a better impression than DVDs.  If we count booth and
unconference space sponsorship, then we could get to some number like
$80+match-to-booth-and-unconference-space and spend it on USBs.  I know
that may be stretching the intended 'matching funding' definition.

>> A legitimate event would be one which has been given an OSGeo Booth,
>> and/or has someone presenting on OSGeo projects. Does this conference
>> qualify?

We have a booth, PDX-OSGeo members will be presenting on a variety of
projects covering at least QGIS, OpenLayers, and others.  PDX-OSGeo members
were also involved in the conference planning so that there is a
substantial Open Source track.  Also, there is an PDX-OSGeo unconference
the following day.  Yes, it qualifies.

>> We could also pay up to $500 once off payment for non-consumables for a
>> local chapter.
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/**Exhibition_Pack<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Exhibition_Pack>
>> We haven't discussed top ups, maybe $50 to $100 would be in order.

We have what I call an OSGeo 'pop up banner' (I think this is the same
thing as a 'top up').  To complete the Exhibition pack we would need some
shirts and a table runner (maybe a table cloth too).  I think that our pop
up banner might have used about $300 of the $500 but am not sure how that
actually panned out.

>> In parallel with this email thread, I'd like to rekindle our discussion
>> and set a final policy for determining how the OSGeo Marketing committee
>> should hand out our $10K budget.

Great idea.

Thanks, Eli