[Marketing] FW: [Board] Micro payments

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 16:01:21 PDT 2013

Bob,
I still believe that to successfully set up a DVD printing pipeline with
one printer, which distributes OSGeo-Live DVDs around the world, we need
someone to step up and volunteer to coordinate it.
Are you, or someone else volunteering to take on this role?

The alternative (re my micro payment suggestion) is that someone from
each conference takes the responsibility of organising to print
DVD/USB/posters/fliers for their event, in line with whatever process we
put in place, and the limit of OSGeo volunteer involvement is approving
and then paying. I'm prepared to write up such a process, and
review/approve/reject applications for funds, which I see as less effort.

Note, we currently have a ($30?) processing fee for transactions. I
think we can set up a paypal account which can make micro-payments for a
few percent of a (few hundred dollar) transaction.

On 19/06/2013 12:36 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:

> All,
>
> As suggested by Cameron, re-posting this  discussion here (sorry if
> you are on the BAORD list as well :c)
>
> I distilled this down somewhat to the pertinent info, but if you want,
> you can go look at the original thread on the BOARD list to see
> everything here:
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Micro-payments-td5052181.html.
>
> This thread started out as a reply to a posting by Cameron that
> commented on the overhead related to expenses for making the Live DVD
> into real live DVD for handout at conferences and such.  I thought
> there might be some room to make the money go farther by consolidating
> the process somewhat and make it into a OSGeo driven one.  Read on for
> more info.
>
> Bobb
>
> Bob, you have done some good research here.
> Would you mind sharing on the marketing email list so the others with
> an opinion on this can contribute.
>
> On 15/06/13 06:36, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
>
>     Cameron,
>
>     This is the local outfit I've used in the past for the DVD printing:
>
>     http://www.quickturnduplication.com/html/pricing.php
>
>     We've only done short runs of one hundred at a time, so no breaks
>     available money wise, but larger orders have some room to move the
>     numbers down.
>
>     Our last run for 100 ended up at $140.  This included the color
>     DVD and the printed insert.  We supplied the Jewel cases and did
>     the packing.  It would be slightly more if they did everything,
>     around $160
>
>     I thought their USB prices were a little high, with the loading
>     part added on, but after making them ourselves for our GeoMoose
>     classes, I can see that it does take some time.  There are also
>     some problems with differences between hardware types that I did
>     not know existed, which introduces some interesting extra work.
>
>     I just got a quote back from them for $1.50 per to load 8gb USB
>     sticks.  They sell them for $8-$11 each(high??)in different
>     styles., but sounded like they were ok with using ours if we
>     bought our own in the door.  They also liked the idea of rewriting
>     older versions for use as the new version when the ISO changes.
>
>     I had an additional thought here related to distribution channels.
>     We could add these as a product to our (SG) online store as an
>     alternate method for distribution, we would need to add some sort
>     of overhead multiplier, but it wouldn't be much.
>
>     These guys were fine with doing a test run and checking the
>     operation before the regular printing progressed, and they are
>     local to our area.
>
>     Bobb
>

>                 On 9/05/2013 11:05 AM, Bob Basques wrote:
>
>                     All,
>
>                     I often wondered about why these weren't just all
>                     run off at once and shipped out to the different
>                     events as needed.  first come, first serve sort of
>                     idea.  Easier to mange too, reserve some amount
> [...]

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254