[Marketing] FOSDEM 2014 material: request for refund

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 01:50:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 14:28:30 +0100
Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com> wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> I assume that the business cards and fliers can't be re-used, or is
> it just that you paid for them out of your own money and would like
> to recoup this? I'm inclined to agree with Cameron that this sort of
> expenditure should be agreed in advance because otherwise OSGeo could
> end up with all sorts of requests for refunds and run out of money.

Hi Jo, to answer your question, all flyers were handed out during the
conference, and less than 20 generic OSGeo business cards were left. I
paid them with my own money as it was the fastest lane to get the
material ready in time, but I see it as an expense for OSGeo. My hotel
and travel costs remain on my own budget.

On a wider perspective, I would be glad if OSGeo supports this kind of
expense, I see it as an investment. Giving away flyers at conferences
that are not our own means a lot of positive publicity. Most of the
people who visited OSGeo stand had no idea of our existence!

My proposal for the future procedure is that marketing budget has a
dedicated section for consumables. Therefore it is impossible that all
OSGeo money (or even only marketing money) ends up in flyers.
The request for approval could ideally be done at least a month before,
with answer in one week from the committee with a simple majority (or
with three classes, depending on the planned expense: like for example,
one positive vote for expenses less than X euros, simple majority from
X to Y euros, unanimity for over Y euros).

Thank you all for moving discussion forward. I hope that my first case
will make future requests clearer and smoother.

Cheers,

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla