[Marketing] FIG conference and exhibition 2017

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:51:10 PST 2016

Hi Kari,

Historically the marketing committee has not paid for conference booth
and conference events. The reasoning was that there are many worthy
conferences which OSGeo should be at, and OSGeo, as a volunteer
organisation, doesn't have the budget to pay for stands at them all.

However, budget had been set aside for marketing material, especially
banners and the like which can be reused.

Conferences will benefit from having OSGeo present. Delegates are
interested in Open Source options.

In the past, many conferences have provided OSGeo with a free booth. (I
suggest asking for this). Sometimes some local businesses have shared
their booth with OSGeo.

I suggest also offering to provide OSGeo related presentations. Maybe
you will wish to present a variant on:

https://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/index.html#/

https://live.osgeo.org/en/presentation/abstract.txt

On 22/12/2016 7:30 AM, Kari Salovaara wrote:
> Dear Board and Marketing Committee,
>
> For Your information:
> FIG (International Federation for Surveyors, http://fig.net/ ) is
> organizing their conference and exhibition ( http://fig.net/fig2017/ )
> in Helsinki, Finland May 29 - June 2 2017 (exhibition May 30 to June 1).
>  From their website:
> "It is the largest and most prestigious conference of surveying
> professionals in 2017, this time held in Finland. We expect 800–1,000
> surveying and spatial experts from around 70–80 countries. The week-long
> conference offers a mix of interesting plenary and technical sessions
> and workshops, a trade exhibition and a variety of side events and
> social functions. The technical programme will consist of around 350
> presentations within the field of surveying including best practice and
> new research."
>
> OSGeo Finland asks Marketing Committee if You have intention to
> participate this exhibition? See http://fig.net/fig2017/exhibition.htm
> for costs and vennue.
> I (as chair to OSGeo Finland) and our vice chairman discussed that we
> can take part to this event by giving helping hand in daily work and
> activities (at least 50% of the time), and we can manage the local
> duties needed to get OSGeo presentation booth "running".
> We have members who manage several languages (min.Fin,Swe,Eng) and are
> GIS professionals who can participate to be present at booth.
> Unfortunately our society is small and new and thus our finances don't
> let us to pay any fees or other payments for exhibition booth or make or
> print any material so this would stay duty for OSGeo Foundation.
> And to get material; banners, USB sticks/DVD, brochures?
>
> If You are interested to partipate and see the cooperation with OSGeo
> Finland would benefit the common goal, please don't hesitate to contact
> me kari.salovaara(at)pp1.inet.fi or our vice chairman Pekka Sarkola
> pekka.sarkola(at)iki.fi
>
> Best regards,
> Kari Salovaara
> OSGeo Finland