[Marketing] catching up with board objectives

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:00:54 PDT 2016

Taking a chance to round up outstanding activities from prior board
meetings:

* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Face_to_Face_Meeting_2016
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-3-10
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-3-10

Here is what I have found for the marketing committee (CCing Marc from
discussion list in the hopes we can recruit him):

   - Motion: Contact Marketing Committee with strategic plan of 2016 to
   give new mandate to them for reviving marketing activities.
   - MOT2: Approve 1000 USD as intreim budget for Marketing committee by
   e-mail vote

So far we are waiting on the strategic plan, best I can offer right now is:

*
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Face_to_Face_Meeting_2016#OSGeo_2016_Strategic_Plan
:
* https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Strategic_Plan_2016

The good news (for the marketing committee) is that most of these
objectives are about communication - so we can help:

   - S01: showcasing excellence in our communities

   We have a lot of amazing work happening in OSGeo, and it is staggering
   how much of it is not known. I for example had no idea a 400 person local
   chapter event was held recently in Romania. By the same token some of the
   triumphs taking place with GeoForAll or individual projects are not known.
   - S02: proactively engage with external partners

   We are starting to gather a network of friendly organizations, and build
   up formal relationships (memorandums of understanding with OGC) or closer
   (joint initiatives with ICA, or being a guest member of LocationTech).

   By the same token we have a lot of sponsors or participating
   organizations (often donating in-kind work on our OSGeo projects). You can
   see me making an effort to revamp our sponsor program. Next I hope to
   update our support-providers page to highlight participating organizations.

   We would like to seek out additional organizations to work with ... how
   can we help OGC reach out? More direct on the open-source advocacy side how
   can we tell the participation message again and again and again.

   - S03: Fostering our mission, vision and goals

   Check out the about page for revised mission, vision, goals
   <http://www.osgeo.org/about>. This is a bit of a branding/product
   exercise - but rather than focusing on what makes OSGeo special - how can
   we promote goals.

   - S04: Empowering our communities and extending our reach

   I know the marketing committee has budget to help with event handouts.
   In this case consider the marketing committee as the community being
   empowered - is there anything we can do to assist? Do you want to put up a
   short term contract to update website content? Do you need a graphics
   designer (or one of those logo competitions to get a consistent set of
   logos created for each committee).

   TLDR: work with the volunteers that show up for the marketing committee,
   and ask for help to make up the gap.

I hope this will be a productive discussion, please resist the urge to
include discuss at osgeo.org - use this (and every day) as an opportunity to
recruit volunteers for the marketing committee.
-