[Marketing] catching up with board objectives

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:50:34 PDT 2016

On 25 March 2016 at 05:32, Marc VLOEMANS <marcvloemans1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jody et al
>
> Thanks for singling me out ;-)
> Please take your time to read further. I have given it some time to assess
> if I should involve myself.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and consider what role you could play.
There are plenty of opportunities, and as a talented individual many gaps
you can help identify.

I will gladly participate in the Marketing Committee and try to revive it.
> There are practical things that need to be taken care of and I have some
> time on my hands...
> But I am dubious if the present organisation is able to appreciate the
> need for true marketing (we tend to be our own worst enemy at times :-(.

We certainly have a message to communicate - this gives us the need.

So my ambition goes beyond ad hoc activities. We need some structural
> apporach and plan.
> Therefor I also intend to professionalise the Marketing-function at OSGeo,
> as I strongly believe that this is key to future success (as long as we
> intend to add value to our stakeholders and foundation remit). Succesful
> communities tend to have a professional attititude and approach to
> marketing. Marketing as a means to align products/services, stakeholders,
> channels/reach, WIIFM/gain, promotion. Marketing directly overlaps our
> strategy: what do we want to be for whom?
>
> I hope that the committee-members will agree on and actively support the
> above! (Can I get an Amen...?)

+1

> Back to the *here and now*. Looking at the - to me still broad -
> communicationrelated objectives for 2016 (
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Strategic_Plan_2016), some
> questions/comments/suggestions;
> - I am to make an initial list of actions/tasks/to do's in the Wiiki

- MarkCom members/Jody please add
> - MarkCom members sign on per item/activity as the person responsible
> - MarkCom members involved will have a monthly meetup (preferably Skype or
> other where we see faces)

I will update the wiki with the target audience since that helps provide
perspective. There is a presentation that should be shared providing the
context to go with those objectives, and a form produced to collection
actions/tasks/todo's. There is no reason the marketing committee cannot
start now, and add ideas to the form when available.

Regarding the future, I acknowledge not everyone is versed in what