[Marketing] two ideas

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:16:58 PDT 2016

Although it may not seem obvious I try and control my scope as a volunteer
(so I do not burn out) by only taking on one mad plan at a time. Having
wrapped up the working party on sponsorship, and finished an osgeo talk at
foss4gna I have two ideas to do within the context of the marketing
committee.

I do not really mind which one is done first, is anyone interested in
helping out?

*Community Event Map*

I was amazed to hear about the size of some of the foss4g regional events
taking place in Europe. It could be I do not sign up to all the lists ever,
but I did feel uninformed and cannot imagine I am alone.
Idea: *Make an animated map of the regional event, with circle size based
on number of attendees, transparency based on how long ago it was - similar
to what is on the GeoForAll website for established labs.*
Approach: *I think we could either attract a volunteer or outsource as a
small contract. It is not quite as simple as a map as we need a way to add
additional events into the mix, and their attendance numbers.*