[Marketing] two ideas

Bob Basques bbasques at sharedgeo.org
Fri May 13 17:55:24 PDT 2016

On 05/13/2016 07:16 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Although it may not seem obvious I try and control my scope as a
> volunteer (so I do not burn out) by only taking on one mad plan at a
> time. Having wrapped up the working party on sponsorship, and finished
> an osgeo talk at foss4gna I have two ideas to do within the context of
> the marketing committee.
>
> I do not really mind which one is done first, is anyone interested in
> helping out?
>
> *Community Event Map*
>
> I was amazed to hear about the size of some of the foss4g regional
> events taking place in Europe. It could be I do not sign up to all the
> lists ever, but I did feel uninformed and cannot imagine I am alone.
> Idea: /Make an animated map of the regional event, with circle size
> based on number of attendees, transparency based on how long ago it
> was - similar to what is on the GeoForAll website for established labs./
/Why not mix the two maps together.  Both the Geo4All and the Events
maps.  either as an entierly new map, or as a mashup. Seems pertinent to
see those layers next to each other.

Also seem like it should be tied into the OSGeo news feed as new events
are plotted.

/
> Approach: /I think we could either attract a volunteer or outsource as
> a small contract. It is not quite as simple as a map as we need a way
> to add additional events into the mix, and their attendance numbers./
> - http://www.geoforall.org/locations/ (example map)
> - http://www.opengeospatial.org/event
> - http://tour.locationtech.org/2015/
>
> *Updated Service Providers Page*
> Our service providers page (http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile) is
> ... not very professional even though we are showcasing some amazing
> organizations!
>
> While the groups listed here are not always involved as we may wish
> they do often operate on the front lines of open source adoption. The
> QGIS, GeoServer and MapServer communities point to a great way to
> address both these issues - group service/product providers by their
> level of participation in the community:
> - *core contributors* take responsibility for some aspect of the
> project (such as releases, documentation or maintenance); while
> - *contributors* have shown the ability to successfully develop a new
> feature on behalf of their customers (meeting community Q,
> documentation guidelines
> - *others *...

I've thought about this myself in the past, if the service providoers DB
were to be set up as a WMS map for example, where it could easily be
added to any viable consuming app, it would make it easy to spread the
word via mapping, as well as a reverse geocoder for nearest to me queries.