[Marketing] Website / Rebranding Meeting April 27th Visitor Journey / Logo Design

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 14:11:17 PDT 2017

Meeting mins are available
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-0I-8svyRzZG8bs9ygnQCfovYvejS-SIDnqbscYifNY/edit#heading=h.9evavkyajn3z>
from
yesterday (sending to the email list here for the record).
----
2017-04-26 Meeting - Visitor Journey | Logo Design

Date: April 26 2017 - 16:00 PM
Agenda

Last Meeting Follow-Up

   -

   Review: Visitor Journey document.
   -

   Set up meeting with Harrison Grundy

New Business

   -

   Milestone: Presentation Initial Branding - Concept & Strategy.
   -

   Review Wireframes: Interaction Design V2 - moved to next meeting.
   -

   Request for input: ‘Case Studies’

Attendees

Get Interactive

   -

   Jeffrey Lasut (Project Owner),
   -

   Patrick Kepel (Project Manager),
   -

   Ching Knikkink (Senior Designer)

OSGeo

   -

   Jody
   -

   Jeffrey Johnson (technical difficulty)

Minutes

   -

   Review: Visitor Journey document:

In the latest mail conversation OSGeo stated that the Visitor Journey is
going to be an ongoing process. Review added information by OSGeo.

Link to the Visitor Journey document’:
https://docs.google.com/a/getinteractive.nl/spreadsheets/d/1KX8Li3DMP5nbrE2QZyw23pAhDzVxsCoQ3x1-XwD_w60/edit?usp=sharing

Review of document with Jody and Patrick:

   -

   Clarification that this is an ongoing process
   -

      Should we fill in a guess, or leave blank?
      -

   Balance between
   -

      Awareness / Consideration / Evaluation
      -

         Most content that has been initially written here should be moved
         down into adoption
         -

      Adoption
      -

         This is what is easiest to write since it was we focus on
         -

      Impress / Enthuse / Advocate
      -

         Community development, building
         -

   JG and JJ: Started filling in the document yesterday
   -

   JG outlined the academic and outreach stories
   -

      Needs review from GeoForAll and local chapter volunteers
      -

   Q: How many people worked on the document?
   -

      3 to 4 people?
      -

   Q: How comfortable are we that this document is complete?
   -

      Most of the ideas are on the table
      -

      Can be more clearly expressed / with correct technical language
      -

      Do not think we are missing anything BIG
      -

      Request review/content from Academic and Local Chapter volunteers
      -

   Q: Can Get Interactive proceed, or are they going to be stuck waiting
   for this document?
   -

      This spreadsheet is needed to drive wireframe creation
      -

      Wireframe creation is stuck on this, but there is other work that can
      be done while Get Interactive waits

Discussion/Clarifications to help guide OSGeo in filling in this
information:

Stages - for non-community members (example students)

   -

   Awareness - Consider to use OSGeo projects, go to an OSGeo events
   -

      Just the knowledge that open source mapping, research tools exist.
      -

      Bonus if they learn about local chapters, or GeoForAll communities
      that can help
      -

   Adoption - made their decision to use/or are already using open source
   for their project or theses
   -

      What tools we can provide to make this easier
      -

      GeoForAll can help support them here
      -

      Ideal Story: Write a thesis using GRASS for analysis, and contribute
      a new plugin to GRASS
      -

   Impress - have so much fun with open source mapping they want to join
   OSGeo
   -

      Presenting papers
      -

      Telling other other Grad students

Stages - for stakeholders

   -

   Awareness
   -

      Check that members are aware of all that OSGeo offers
      -

      Focused on building connections between OSGeo groups
      -

   Adoption - how to take part in more OSGeo activities
   -

      How to encourage stakeholders to participate in OSGeo (rather
      -

      If you work on a project, how to set up a code sprint
      -

      If you work on a local chapter, how to join marketing committee
      -

   Impress
   -

      Both messager outreach to non-members
      -

      Promote OSGeo as an organization - name OSGeo as a solution
      -

      Recruit new members to grow our community

Conversation about terms (see Legend tab of spreadsheet)

   -

   Which content do we need?
   -

      Information
      -

      Things that need to be written
      -

      Tutorial is a content (could be delivered as a workshop, video,
      website, pdf, handout)
      -

      Examples: Getting Started, FAQ, Project Information, Tutorials, Case
      Studies, MOU, Press Release, MOU
      -

   Which media can we use?
   -

      Formats
      -

      Examples: website, offline (brochures, handouts), videos, demos,
      magazines, social media
      -

   Which channels
   -

      Where the communication occurs
      -

      The same content can go out on multiple channels - example a press
      release on our website and via gisuser
      -

      Different channels require different media  - the same tutorial may
      be a PDF on the website, a handout at a conference, and a video
on YouTube.
      -

      Website, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Conference Booth, Conference
      Presentation, Conference Workshop
      -

      Examples: Website (landing pages), MailChimp (channel for email),
      GisUser (channel for press release), Git (channel for code), mailing list
      (channel for email)
      -

   Tools, response and followup:
   -

      Goal is to create a response in the target audience
      -

      Follow up email after user has downloaded the software
      -

      Collecting biz cards at a conference to check back with booth
      attendees
      -

      Create an interaction between events:
      -

         Download qgis, get an email three days later about a local meetup
         in your area, follow up with foss4g news
         -

      Call-to-Action button on the website (landing page)

Stages - for stakeholders members

   -

   Awareness
   -

      Consider to join us (rather than just use our software and materials)
      -

      You can join a local chapter and take part
      -

      How to encourage service providers into productive contributors?
      -

      Do you support open source? Are you sure?
      -

         Encourage the use of open source you help grow the user community
         -

         Next level is participating, so open source can be sustainable
         -

   Adoption
   -

      How to join a local chapter and help out in your community
      -

   Impress
   -

      Having fun? Encourage others to join
      -

      Burnt out? Encourage others to help
      -

      Community building, member outreach, join osgeo

   -

   Set up meeting with Harrison Grundy

Meeting with Harrison Grundy (SAC) to discuss production environment and
LDAP for the website.

   -

   Milestone: Presentation Initial Branding - Concept & Strategy

Presentation and substantiation on logo design and recommendations.

Link to document: ‘Presentation Initial Branding - Concept & Strategy’’
will be added after presentation.

Notes:

   -

   Cleanup, blance
   -

   Good comparison with friendly / competitors for visual comparison
   -

      Note - update QGIS logo and eclipse Logo for comparison
      -

      The composition is improved, looking more balanced with the text,
      spacing looks good
      -

   Logo 1 - minimal changes
   -

      The old one had a gap to be "open"
      -

   Logo 2 - bring in two colors change from compass rose to compass on rose
   -

      Logo text looks odd for spacing
      -

   Logo 3 - bring in two ideas
   -

      Like the sawtooth effect
      -

      The combination of compass rose with compass
      -

      Fits in best with the others
      -

   Logo 4
   -

      Change it up more, gradient, mark intermixed with words, breaks up OS
      and
      -

   Logo 5
   -

      Like a Spirogrpah rendering of the current elements
      -

      Lots of movement with all the lines
      -

      The font is clear, legible, with the darker colors
      -

      Moves away from green

Exploring Logo 3 in other contexts

   -

   Use a topo to pull out idea of geography for biz card, presentations,
   etc…
   -

   Topo lines comes across as vintage - or steam punk
   -

   Consider comparison with new qgis logo
   -

   OSGeo - Educational content
   -

      This is known as “GeoForAll” so we need a different example
      -

      Other examples with two words to see line wrapping
      -

         Silver Sponsor
         -

         Community Project
         -

      Still recommend short names for subterms
      -

   OSGeo - Conference
   -

      This is known as “FOSS4G” so we need a different example
      -

   -

      Lots of nice elements to steal for sub brands
      -

      More colors for sub-brands
      -

      What font? Need to check it is an open font :) A google font…

   -

Jody’s notes:

   -

   remind me to share my sketch templates
   -

   I like how light bulbs are now icons - and not a real thing anymore)
   -

   for mission, vision, presentaiton -
   https://www.slideshare.net/jgarnett/a-new-vision-for-osgeo-65529744)
   -

   That "G" looks odd, tried to draw in elements with of an arrow?
   -

   I think your QGIS logo may be out of date

   -

   Update Wireframes: ‘Interaction Design V2’: moved to next meeting.

Based on the information given by OSGeo on April 12 2017, adjustments were
made and saved in a new document: ‘interaction Design V2’

Link to ‘Interaction Design V2’:
https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/ZCBA3XH54#/screens/230141058
Action Items

   -

   Finalize Visitor Journey (OSGeo)
   -

   Decision making Logo Design (OSGeo)
   -

   Providing Get Interactive with information for ‘Case Studies’ wireframes
   (OSGeo)
   -

   Share corporate presentation on Core Values etc. with Get Interactive.

   -

   JL - contact email list to set up a meeting with Harisson Grundy
   -

   JG - setup a meeting on the visitor journeys
   -

   JL - Share logo presentation as-is (ask for feedback on the topo
   background idea)
   -

   JG: Anyone want to post these notes...

Next Meeting Agenda Items

   -

   Discuss input ‘Cases Studies’.
   -

   Discuss decision Logo OSGeo.
   -

   Marketing & Collateral for  FOSS4G Boston (waiting for Astrid to reply).