[Marketing] [Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 11:29:49 PDT 2017

I do not think the board was asked to reach a conclusion, the specific bug
report was the result of a mistake (made sure not to check who) and has
since been fixed: http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/projects/qgis/

I will note that the website is still under active development by the
contractor, and that none of our community members had access to fix the
issue when it was reported - I am sorry if that made anyone feel like they
were not being listened to.

In terms of responsibility for website content:

- I feel that the project teams should have the final say on what appears
on these project pages (if they do not wish to provide "migrate from"
information then there is no requirement to).
- In a similar fashion committees, initiatives, goeforall labs should have
edit access and freedom to manage their respective pages.
- the board is responsible for the partner pages, as it maintains these
partner relationships
- the marketing committee has responsibility for a few sections, branding,
what is open source, and advocacy pages

With respect to the purpose of this website, the marketing committee was
asked by the board to take on this project to meet a couple of our goals as
an organization, that were being held up by our Drupal website (lack of
participation more than appearance).

- Outreach: To introduce members of the public to open source geospatial. I
view this as a calling for all of us in this organization (ie our "*Empower
everyone with open source geospatial*" mission statement) rather than just
the calling of the board, the local chapters, the marketing committee,
initiatives like GeoForAll and OSGeo, or the individual projects.
- Celebration: To celebrate our community, especially its members (the goal
is written as "*celebrate excellence, openness and service within the OSGeo
community*"), which results in the strong focus on team photos in the
design and presentation (there is of course lots more we can do as an
organization - would love to see some more diverse awards and recognition).

What happened to the Drupal website? *While there were limitations around
presentation (a rebranding done in 2009 was never implemented), the largest
one was around participation. The website committee became in active and
disbanded, and the individual committees and community activities gradually
migrated to the wiki. Indeed much day-to-day maintenance fell on Jeff
McKenna and his dedication and perseverance has kept us online. *

The key message is that everyone is need to both finish this website, and
to make it a success for everyone.