[Marketing] Proposal to subscribe to an email platform for all of OSGeo committees

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 00:52:16 PDT 2020

Hi all

Like Massimiliano, my entire line of thinking here is around adopting the
open-ness that we tell the rest of the world that they should adopt. it is
not about money.

- I think it should be up to the SAC if they want to take on administering
AWS. My experience is that 'just do AWS thing' is never 'just do...' - and
then there is the whole 'do we want to give money to amazon' question as
well.
- I am concerned about data retention and privacy
- I care less about getting blacklisted once every 13 years and more about
keeping 'open tooling' and 'openness about data' centred in our culture
- I am also thinking 'well OSGeo and FOSS4G have grown hugely without all
this tooling we are meant to have needed...'

Are we transparent enough with the community about what data go where when
the list is interacted with? For an example, try testing the mailchimp
'adjust my preferences' page in blacklight: https://themarkup.org/blacklight
- if someone has a sendy example it would be good to test that also. Do we
also have permission to retain user data (in both sendy and mailchimp) if
they unsubscribe?

Do we actually do anything as an organisation (other than appease our
curiosity) with the data collected/retained by mailchimp etc?

The question of mass communication is hard, and the real issues seem to be
'how do we want to pay for this ability to send out messages? by money,
time, ethics, or some mix - what do we value most and what are we willing
to use as currency?'

At the end of the day yes there are limited resources and stuff needs to be
communicated. I can spend some time looking at phplist from a feature
perspective (and the and mailman 3 stack), happy to talk to the
Pretalx/pretix team about their thoughts on what will work for integrating
things we collect at conference sign up and sending e-mails out.

(written from a proprietary OS and a proprietary mailing service run by a
company which is also not known for its ethical stance - at least delivered
to you by open source tools :) )

Cheers
Adam