[Marketing] Proposal: osgeo website emergency quickfix

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:48:22 PST 2024

Hey folks, I am making a proposal below for a quick fix, please respond
with a +1 and we can unblock an issue that has become urgent.

Discussion welcome, but growing scope is not. I was present during the
website project so I know some of the graphical design tradeoffs in order
to answer questions.

Thanks,
Jody

*Problem:*

So some pages of the website have run into problems (with updates and
changes) and need some emergency graphic design decisions.

The https://www.osgeo.org/sponsors/ page is a bit broken right now, with
logos displaying in a single column, and square logos ending up with too
much visual weight making for an inconsistent visual.

Notes:

   - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/3000 discussing the technical
   challenges e
   (This is held up due to lack of graphic design input)
   - Lior was going to look at sponsorship benefits and this page
   https://www.osgeo.org/about/how-to-become-a-sponsor/
   (Presently it has very prescriptive benefits with exact icons sizes
   while is ill-advised)

*Sponsor Page Quickfix Proposal*

   - Goal is a good single page presentation, with logos given
   representation based on sponsorship logo. Logos within a tier should have
   similar visual impact.
   - Restore columns: The https://foss4g.asia/2023/our-sponsors-partners/ page
   is similar to what we started with, with visibility based on sponsorship
   tier.
   - Logo scaling for fair visual impact: The https://foss4gna.org/ page is
   a good example of fair logo scaling with a perfect rectangle provided for
   each logo, with a margin for white space so each logo can breath, both
   square and rectangle logos end up with similar space.
   (This is an example of how to be fair, I am not recommending the
   rectangles be visible as is done on the foss4g-na site)

*Planning*
If we do get a budget for 2024 we should assemble a work package of
outstanding requests (review emergency fix, mastodon social logos,
committee page template etc...)

I strongly wish to avoid doing isolated quick fixes, it is so easy to do
small changes that make sense for one objective, and damage the
effectiveness of an individual page. Example: some sponsors get color
logos, having logos moving in the footer, etc...