[MDAL-Developer] Compiling with HDF5 1.10

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 04:02:33 PDT 2020

OK - I will create a ticket.

I have the recipe for a Windows build using conda - pace the HDF5 and GRIB
problems - and can publish that if you want - create a ticket (suggesting
where to put the info) and I will PR to it at some point over the next few
weeks.

Of course - we could also add MDAL to conda-forge. But I am not sure I am
up to working out how to do that at the moment. I have created a Unity
package that loads MDAL into a Unity project -
https://github.com/ViRGIS-Team/mdal-upm - that also shows how to use MDAL
in c#. That is what how our project consumes MDAL now. The Unity package
will now auto update for each new release of MDAL.

I am also scheduled to try the same on OSX and Linux over the next few
weeks. Will let you know.

I have no problems with the GDAL dependency. I have problems with the
OSGEO4W dependency because that is basically a pit of despair - and GDAL
have moved to conda as far as I can see.

It would seem to me that managing the dependency to GDAL is no worse than
the job we would have managing the dependency to next level down and there
are probably more interesting things people could be spending their time on
- but there may be some functional restrictions brought by GDAL that I am
not aware of.