[MDAL-Developer] Installing MDAL

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:57:44 PDT 2023

{re-adding the whole group}

Just to re-iterate the first point - MDAL is compiled into QGIS so you
cannot change the version of MDAL in a version of QGIS and Conda does not
change the version used by QGIS. That is just how it is.

MDAL does open FLO-2D datasets. I can see that in QGIS, I am not a FLO-2D
person but the details of the files needed are shown in the MDAL
documentation https://www.mdal.xyz/drivers/flo2d.html#driver-flo2d.

WIth some experimentation with the test dataset from MDAL (the only FLO-2D
data I have access to) I have confirmed that you need to open the
CADPTS.DAT file as the layer and this should automatically pull in the HDF5
data. This is because you need the mesh positions and topology to represent
the mesh data - contained in the .DAT files - as well as the attribute data
contained in the hdf5 file.

you can see a screen grab of the test data in this picture
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XU7nY7T4Tc0PTlWBf6Cr5CxI4NGFeMu_/view?usp=sharing>