[MetaCRS] Opportunity for Sharing: Regional ESPG Code Lists

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Jul 7 18:54:20 EDT 2008

I am dealing with a little problem using the deegree Project CRS
library, and I thought it demonstrated a possible opportunity for some
sharing/collaboration.

The deegree Project CRS library accepts EPSG codes as a valid way to
identify the source and destination coordinate reference systems for a
transformation. The tricky part of this is obtaining a list of EPSG
codes that can be presented to a user via a GUI.

This tricky part of the transformation process gets even trickier when
you realize that most users will only want to select a few global and
regional EPSG codes, not the hundreds (or is it thousands) of codes that
are available.

I was thinking about putting together a list of the most commonly used
EPSG codes for the United States of America. This would include popular
"global" map projections like UTM. I might even organize the list by
State. I'd make the list available as a plain text file that could be
easily parsed. It would probably contain the EPSG code and a user
friendly name of the CRS. This text file could be parsed by client code
to build a list box to display to the user. (In Java this would be a
JListBox.)

Working together with other OSGeo members to maintain regional lists
would prevent the user of OSGeo software from needing to directly access
the EPSG database to find the desired code, and would also allow us to
share the work of maintaining the lists for each region.

Does something like this already exist, and I'm just missing it? Or, if
there isn't anything like this out there, could regional CRS lists be a
chance to work together without sharing code?

Landon

Warning: