Fwd: [MetaCRS] Opportunity for Sharing: Regional ESPG Code Lists

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:33:24 EDT 2008

I was thinking this information could be provided as a convenience for
users and programmers. Not every user is skilled with a database, nor
do they want to download a database to find a couple of EPSG codes.

Can you provide a regional filter on the JComboBox for EPSG codes in GeoTools?

I know the relationship between EPSG codes and user friendly CRS names
is stored in the EPSG database, I was only thinking it might be easier
to access in a small file outside of the database.

Martin wrote: "The database has a "Domain of validity" information as
a geographic bounding box. GeoTools among other parses and can use
this information."

I didn't know that. This information could be very helpful. I'll hop
over to the GeoTools mailing list so you can tell me what classes do
this.

So I guess if we are all tapping the EPSG database directly that there
is no need to set up CRS lists for different regions of the globe...

Landon