[MetaCRS] 'FOSS Maintained' Source of CRS Definitions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 8 16:11:23 EDT 2008

Mike Adair wrote:
> I think a big issue is to get a commitment from some organization to run
> a service like this operationally.  I know from my years in the
> government that they won't commit to do that (at least the Canadian
> gov), OGC won't do it (last time I asked) because they don't have a
> mandate to run things like that.  Galdos stood one up but it's an ebRIM
> catalogue with it's associated complexity.  I really like the RESTful
> approach of spatialreference.org and the ability to extend the database.
>
> If we are going to be building operational apps that come to depend on a
> service like this, there has to be a robust, operational,
> highly-available implementation.  I don't think OSGeo has the mandate to
> run it either, but for such a fundamental 'geo' service, we might be
> able to convince the board to make an exception in this case?

Mike,

If adequate volunteers are available to make things work, I'm pretty
confident the board would not object to us maintaining spatialreference.org.
This might extend to some financial support if needed, though I'd rather
not go too far down that road if it can be avoided.

I would suspect it mostly comes down SAC or MetaCRS committing to maintain
the service.

Best regards,