[MetaCRS] 'FOSS Maintained' Source of CRS Definitions

Mike Adair madair at dmsolutions.ca
Thu May 8 15:45:41 EDT 2008

I think a big issue is to get a commitment from some organization to run
a service like this operationally.  I know from my years in the
government that they won't commit to do that (at least the Canadian
gov), OGC won't do it (last time I asked) because they don't have a
mandate to run things like that.  Galdos stood one up but it's an ebRIM
catalogue with it's associated complexity.  I really like the RESTful
approach of spatialreference.org and the ability to extend the database.

If we are going to be building operational apps that come to depend on a
service like this, there has to be a robust, operational,
highly-available implementation.  I don't think OSGeo has the mandate to
run it either, but for such a fundamental 'geo' service, we might be
able to convince the board to make an exception in this case?

Mike